A gas which is odourless, tasteless and colourless.
Can occur where any source of fuel is burnt incorrectly i.e. without sufficient oxygen.
If breathed in it is harmful and sufficient quantities are poisonous. Contrary to popular belief, it is not just old poorly maintained gas appliances that are at risk, coal fires and sealed fires e.g. Rayburn fires are amongst the largest contributors to CO poisoning.
Despite scares carbon monoxide poisoning is very rare and can be eliminated by regular servicing, testing, CO detector alarms or boiler up-grades/ replacements. Adequate ventilation and correct flue installation/ maintenance is the key to eliminating the problem of carbon monoxide.
Visual signs of recognition
Black sooting around seals of older boiler casings and on surrounding walls
Gas flames burning Yellow/Orange-they ought to be blue, as seen on a gas cooker hob.
Early physical effects
Severe Headaches, breathlessness, nausea and palpitations on exertion within 4 to 5 hours of exposure.
What to do
If concerned ventilate all areas, turn gas appliances off.
Arrange to have your gas appliance (Boiler, Oven or Fire) serviced and checked by a gas safe registered engineer.
Have a Carbon monoxide alarm fitted for peace of mind.